Recent Commercial Posts
Flooding at Jacksonville Commercial Warehouse Due to Broken Water Main
It is very common for broken or cracked pipes to occur in commercial buildings.
This large one-story commercial warehouse just outside of Jacksonville flooded 15,000-16,000 sq. ft. Some 6000 gallons of water were released from the broken water main to the air conditioner chiller unit. Cleanup required extraction of water and oil. Water was then pumped to 500 gallon waste containers to be hauled off by a hazardous waste company.
Notice in the accompanying photo the extent of the water damage. Flooding in commercial buildings can happen very quickly, especially if there is no one on site to identify the problem. What starts out as a small water leak can turn into something larger, and cause significantly more damage than expected. If your commercial property has old pipes, there is a higher chance of water damage occurring. Broken pipes are a common cause of water damage in commercial facilities. It is very common for broken or cracked pipes to occur in commercial buildings, especially when they age. When a pipe bursts, water rushes out of them, spraying throughout the whole building. A busted pipe can cause damage to the walls, ceilings, flooring, and any other contents you have filling that space.
Our customer was very pleased with our quick response and fast turnaround time. No job is too big or too small for this SERVPRO team!
If you have water damage or flooding at your commercial facility, call SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest at 904.256.4894.
SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest Can Help With Commercial Property Damages and Maintenance
SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest can help with water, fire or mold damages to commercial properties as well as maintenance and general cleaning.
Preventative maintenance is one of the most important steps that can be taken to reduce the risk of structural damage at your commercial property. Whether lessening the risk of water, fire, or mold damages, there are strategies that can be employed:
- Periodically check plumbing and fixtures for broken or cracked gaskets or seals and/or small leaks. The sooner you catch an issue and repair it, the less likely your small leak will become a catastrophe.
- Maintain landscaping around your property. Debris in drainage ditches, overgrown weeds, or clogged storm drains can result it rainwater backing up and flooding your property. Maintaining the exterior of the property reduces this risk, especially if heavy rains are in the forecast.
- Roof Maintenance! Damaged roofs provide not only the perfect entry point for storm water to flow into your building but can also allow moisture to become trapped in ceilings and attics, increasing the likelihood of mold growth.
- Have a licensed electrician check wiring in the building. Especially in older properties, faulty wiring is a common source of commercial fire damage.
- If your building is equipped with a fire suppression system, make sure it is in working order. If not, be sure to have plenty of in-date fire extinguishers located throughout the property, so that in case of fire, a small issue has less opportunity to become a large disaster.
- Properly store and label any combustible or hazardous materials, such as gasoline, diesel, or chemicals. Improperly stored hazardous materials can provide an ignition source and make putting out the fire more dangerous and difficult.
- Reduce moisture within the building by running a dehumidifier. Especially in the more humid climate of Northern Florida, eliminating as much moisture as possible within the business can reduce the potential for mold growth.
- If you see signs of water intrusion, such as staining or puddling, identify the source, fix it, and dry the area as soon as possible! With porous materials, such as drywall, it only takes a minimal amount of moisture to create the conditions for microbial growth, and growth can begin in as little as 24-48 hours.
- Have your HVAC/Duct Work cleaned regularly. This provides better air quality for the property and reduces the circulation of contaminants. If you have confirmed a mold issue at your business, do NOT run the HVAC system, as this could circulate the mold spores and widen the spread.
When it comes to maintaining your commercial property, know that SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest is Here to Help. Our team of professionals is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for emergency damages. Serving Jacksonville, Callahan, Yulee, and surrounding communities, we have the equipment, expertise, and experience to handle damages of all sizes!
SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest Offers Business a Free Preparedness Service
The ERP program offers a downloadable app that allows you to easily share the Profile Document with others on your team.
We at SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest offer local businesses a FREE service that can be invaluable in the event of a storm or other disaster.
Did you know that 50% of businesses close down following a disaster? Of the businesses that do survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place.
No one plans for a disaster but you can be ready if one strikes.
SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest offers a complimentary assessment of your facility that can minimize business interruption in the event of a disaster. This assessment provides the critical information needed to begin mitigation and recovery services and serves as a quick reference for important building and contact information. We would like to offer you this FREE service at your place of business. It's called SERVPRO Emergency READY Profile™ (ERP), and here are some advantages of the program:
- Includes a concise Profile Document that contains the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- Offers a guide to help you get back into your building safely following a disaster.
- Provides facility details such a shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information
- Offers a Profile Document with others on your team.
- Identifies the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- Establishes your local SERVPRO as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider
Please call us at 904-256-4894 to schedule your ERP.
Common Causes of Water Damage in Jacksonville Commercial Properties
Malfunctioning sprinkler systems are a common cause of water damage in commercial buildings.
A malfunction of the sprinkler system in a hotel resulted in water damage throughout a hallway and several resident rooms of the facility. SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest was called in to extract the water and mitigate the associated water damage.
This is one example of a common incident that can necessitate water repair and cleanup in commercial facilities.
Following are some tips for preventing or reducing the severity of water damage events in commercial facilities in the North Jacksonville area.
Maintain the Plumbing
Regular plumbing maintenance can alert building owners to corroded or damaged pipes and partial sewer line blockages. A building owner or manager should be aware of the age, condition, and materials used in the plumbing system. Regular inspections can help to minimize the occurrence of a broken or blocked pipe and inform you of measures you can take to prevent backups, bursts or leaks.
Repair Roof Damage
Roofing can sustain damage from high winds or storm conditions. Damaged materials can result in leaks. Building owners or managers are well advised to inspect the condition of the roof after weather events and arrange for professional repair and maintenance if there are signs of roof damage. SERVPRO can assist by installing a tarp on the roof to limit water damage until repairs are possible.
Inspect Sprinkler Systems
Fire suppression systems play an important role in maintaining the overall safety of commercial structures. However, as was the case at the hotel, these systems can malfunction and cause water damage when no fire risk is present. Building owners and managers should schedule regular inspections of fire sprinklers to reduce the risk of water or fire damage.
Property owners who take these measures may be able to lessen the severity or even prevent some incidence of water damage. Prevention is generally more cost effective than emergency water damage repair.
If a malfunctioning sprinkler system or other incident results in a leak or flooding of your commercial building, call SERVPRO of Jacksonville Northwest at 904.256.4894.